Gone are the hot summer days, and in their place the cool harvest season arrives with a burst of color from changing foliage. It's harvest season, and as we go into the month of October the season there's a new slate of activities for you and your family to enjoy.
From pumpkin patches to craft festivals, haunted houses to corn mazes, the autumn season brings much to do! Pick the perfect pumpkin at any one of a number of local patches. Enjoy a hay ride or find your way through a corn maze in the dark! Looking for something a bit more spooky? Visit the Lewis County Historical Season all during the month of October and top it off with a visit to a haunted house.
Here's a list of things for you and your family to do this early autumn. We'll keep adding to it as the season goes along! Find your activity below, and if you're on a phone or tablet, you can tap the address on any listing for a map that you can use to navigate from where you are.
• You're invited to the annual Onalaska Apple Harvest Festival in the quaint community of Onalaska! Celebrating harvest season Oct. 6-8, the Apple Harvest Festival includes a parade, 5K run/walk, harvest dinner, canoe and kayak races and more! New to the event this year are a cornhole tournament, self-guided farm tour and farm-to-table dinner. For more, including a full schedule of events, visit the Apple Harvest website!
Location: All throughout Onalaska / More info: Onalaska Alliance on the Web
• New to the autumn event calendar in Lewis County is the first-annual Oktoberfest in Packwood! On Oct. 29-30, come to Packwood and enjoy live music, food, and of course beer — and there will also be entertainment, vendors, games and much more. Live music will be provided by the Smilin' Scandinavians, vendors will offer wares for purchase and more! More information, links to purchase and more on the Destination Packwood Association website! This event is sponsored by the Packwood Improvement Club.
Location: Packwood Community Center / More info: Destination Packwood on the Web
PUMPKIN PATCHES, CORN MAZES, HAUNTED HOUSES, ETC.
• The Huntting’s Pumpkin Patch and Haunted Forest is a local favorite. Spread out over several acres, this awesome autumn attraction includes more than just the pumpkin patch and haunted forest — there’s also a corn maze you have to navigate by flashlight, a goblin egg slingshot and more! This year’s season runs from Sept. 29 to Oct. 31.
Location: 600 Cinebar Road, Cinebar / More Info: (360) 388-6920 or facebook.com/thehunttings
• Osborn’s Country Harvest in Chehalis is doing their harvest activities for the month of October. Pick a pumpkin of your choice at their pumpkin patch, find your way through the corn maze, and browse the gift shop. Their pumpkin patch and corn maze hours are Tuesday through Friday, 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. They'll also offer a petting zoo, hay rides, corn bin and kids hay maze every Saturday and Sunday in October, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Got a school or day care group that wants to go? Contact them for pricing and reservations!
Location: 1021 State Route 6, Chehalis / More Info: www.osbornscountryharvest.com
• Parkerosa Farms, located west of Chehalis, offers tractor-drawn wagon rides, a petting zoo, games and much more at their farm from Sept. 30 to Oct. 31. The pumpkin patch is open each day, with tractor rides taking place on Saturdays and Sundays. Pick a pumpkin or a gourd to decorate! Cash or checks only; private events can be held on site by reservation. Call for details!
Location: 292 Chilvers Road, Chehalis / More info: (360) 748-0833 or www.parkerosafarms.com
• WillyTee’s Pumpkin Patch opens throughout in October. This gigantic pumpkin patch is a perfect spot to pick your pumpkin for Halloween decorating, and to enjoy the ambience of fall. This pumpkin patch also includes crafts for the kids and much more! Check their Facebook page for more details on an opening date.
Location: 3415 Jackson Highway, Chehalis / More Info: (360) 880-5411 or WillyTee's Pumpkin Patch on Facebook
- Lewis County Farms in Ethel offers pumpkins, vegetables, bounce houses, photo opportunities, a hands-on table and more! They will open late September through Oct. 31. Visit their website for more information.
Location: 107 Pinkerton Road, Ethel / More info: (360) 281-4514 or Lewis County Farms
• Dead Ending Haunted House is open in the Fairway Center in south Centralia, scaring up some great entertainment as Halloween approaches! This haunted house is fun for all ages to enjoy. Hours are 6:30 p.m. to 10 p.m. October 6-7, 13-14, 20-12, 27-28 and 30-31. Cost is $8 (only $7 with student or military ID).
Location: 1720 South Gold Street, Centralia / More info: (360) 480-4935 or Dead Ending Haunted House on Facebook
• The Pumpkin Patch in Centralia is an annual tradition for many! From giant pumpkins to small pumpkins, gourds and more, these folks have it all. Get in touch with them for hours and availability.
Location: 518 Goodrich Road, Centralia / More info: (360) 269-1783 or The Pumpkin Patch on Facebook
RIDE THE RAILS & CAPTURE THE COLORS
• The Chehalis-Centralia Steam Train will run its annual Pumpkin Train for two days, three times per day Oct. 28 and 29. Experience the beauty of autumn in west Lewis County, grab a pumpkin to take home and enjoy the glorious fall weather.
Location: 1101 SW Sylvenus St., Chehalis / More info: www.steamtrainride.com
• Celebrate autumn aboard the Mount Rainier Railroad and Logging Museum. This steam train ride takes you through the foothills and forests of the Mount Rainier region and includes a trip to the Logging Museum just outside of Mineral! See the scenery, capture the colors and enjoy the awesome experience of a train ride from yesteryear. Several special event trains are taking place in September and October as well. For more information, call or visit their website.
Location: 54124 Mountain Hwy. E., Elbe / More info: http://mtrainierrailroad.com/
CRAFT SHOWS & BAZAARS
• Wedin Farm & Friends Fall Harvest Show takes place Sept. 29 - Oct. 1 in Adna. Come get your fill of autumn decor and so much more, with everything ranging from antiques and vintage finds to goods and products such as homemade soap, candles, jewelry and more. Dawn's Delectables of Centralia will provide food for purchase on site, and Rosecrest Farms will host a cheese tasting!
Location: 560 Spooner Road, Adna / More info: Wedin Farm & Friends on Facebook
• One of the largest arts and crafts events of the fall, Country Chicks Fall Market, returns to the Southwest Washington Fairgrounds! More than 40,000 square feet at the fairgrounds will be chock-full of arts, crafts and so much more as part of the event! Entry is $5, or $4 with a non-perishable food donation.
Location: 2555 N. National Ave., Chehalis / More info: Country Chicks on Facebook
• This year's Fall Arts and Craft Fair at the Packwood Community Hall will be held Oct. 7-8 in beautiful Packwood. Hosted by the Packwood Improvement Club, the fair begins 10 a.m. Oct. 7 and features local vendors with homemade crafts, jewelry, ceramics and more. Free coffee is available and light refreshments will be available for purchase!
Location: 12935 U.S. Highway 12, Packwood / More info: Packwood Improvement Club on Facebook
• Local crafters, artisans, farmers and more will converge upon Seedpod Farm in north Centralia for their annual Seedpod Farm Harvest Festival & Craft Fair. Celebrating the harvest season, this event is open to the public and will also contain kid-friendly activities, live music and more. Come watch homesteading demonstrations, live music and much more Oct. 14 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Location: 2330 Howard Avenue, Centralia / More info: Seedpod Farm on the Web