Located in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest, near the southeastern entrance to Mt. Rainier, La Wis Wis Guard Station cabin represents the Northwest “rustic” style typical of the Forest Service Depression-era architecture. It was one of two structures designed for the Pacific Northwest. Built in 1937, this 25-foot by 32-foot cabin with a gable roof and stone chimney served the Forest Service until 1993.
This cabin was one of several projects completed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) based in Packwood. From 1933 to 1942, the CCC gave work to unemployed single men as part of the New Deal during the Great Depression. The CCC built many buildings still in use today in Mount Rainier National Park and the Gifford Pinchot National Forest. Volunteers and members of the U.S. Forest Service have been teaming up to restore the building to its original glory after the building had been unused for some time. The building is included on the National Register of Historic Places for its cultural significance to our region.